Music and Religion/Philosophy

 Catholic Hymns 

    Hello, welcome back to my blog. Today we will be talking about music and religion. But before we go right into this, religion has not exactly played a big role in my life. I know briefly about different regions but not extensively. Unfortunately, I have not been driven to go to church or read the bible. Nor be interested in learning more about different religions. But overall I respect anyone with there own beliefs. So, moving on there are many different religions that quite interesting. Today we will be learning about the catholic connection with music and religions. 


First, let's talk about the importance of hymns. Hymns are described as religious types of songs. As well as, they are written for the purpose of prayer and deity. Hymn in Greek means "a song of praise". So, a writer of hymns is typically called a hymnist. People believe that God, the giver of song, is present when singing is praised. St. Augustine says, "Singing is for the one who loves" which means music is a way for God to lead people to higher things. In an article, I read it says"Jesus and his apostles sang a hymn before their journey to the Mount of Olives". This is why many different hymns are made to be sung in church. Overall many regions believe that music is a gift of god and will use music to be close to him. 


When listening to "The summons" it has a very soft melody to it. You are able to listen to the soft piano as well as the guitar. It makes you feel free and happy. Many could say that it is almost speaking to you. In the article, I read he describes the meaning of this song about the times he has been faithful and how he opened to God's plan in his life. I really like the song and I hope you enjoy it. 






The next song is called "On Eagle's Wings" which is quite popular. It has a soft melody as well as the first one. You are able to hear a wind instrument and a piano. When you hear the song it feels like emotion you are not able to explain. In an article, I read how Gessica describes the hymns as a reminder of death in a good way. He also says "we will not live forever, and this song is a great reminder of what happens when we follow God's path for our lives". This song it really popular, so I hope you enjoy it. 




Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymn 

http://archphila.org/Roman%20Missal/pdfs/Why%20We%20Sing%20the%20Mass.pdf 

https://spiritualcantor.com/my-favorite-hymns/ 







Comments

  1. In the first song The summons the singers voice is so beautiful it captives me, as well as the piano. The flute in the second song is so pretty, the melody is very conjunctive, when I played the song my roommate started singing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I really enjoyed the little personal summary as well as the fact that your blog was so fact driven. I really enjoyed reading this. The music clips you included really pulled everything together. I have heard the song "On Eagles Wings" many times, so I thought that it was very interesting that of all of the hymns you included this song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the straightforwardness of your blog, I rarely can get straight to the point. Y'know, I've never heard either of these hymns before but they gave off a hymn vibe if that makes sense. I really enjoyed The Summons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Christina! I understand that a lot of people are not really religious. I do love to hear the piano play in the background too. It really makes me feel like I am apart of the song and music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you did a little big of background research on the meanings of hymns. I guess it was something I never really thought about but learning that the word has Greek origins doesn't really surprise me. I really enjoyed the Summons, I thought it had great vocals, a very soothing melody.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cool Stuff: Arabic and Indian Music

Blog Entry No.3: Music and Gender

Big Blog no. 1: American Roots Music